Your company registered address is the address listed in the records of the Hong Kong government.
Here’s 6 tips about the registered address of your Hong Kong company.
Why does your company need a registered address?
According to Section 658 of the Hong Kong Companies Ordinance of Hong Kong, all Hong Kong companies must have a registered office address in Hong Kong.
This is the address where all communications and government notices can be sent.
The Hong Kong SAR government usually sends letters to your company address each year: 1 from the Statistics Department and 3 from the Inland Revenue Department.
All of these letters have a set submission deadline attached. A late fee will incur if that deadline is missed.
This registered address is only used for the administrative registration of your company and not for official business use.
This means that a company can have its actual business address at a location different from its registration address.
A company address shall meet the following conditions:
- It has to be a location where all communications and notices can be received
- It has to be a physical address in Hong Kong
- It cannot be a P.O. box
Based on applicable regulations, a Hong Kong company is also required to display its name and liability status in legible characters at its registered office address and every business venue.
The company name should be easily seen and positioned in the stated above premises for all visitors.
Can you use a residential address as a registered address?
Your company address is not limited to commercial or office locations.
This means that a residential address could also be used as a registered office address for a company.
If you decide to use a residential location as a registered address, you should:
- check whether your tenancy agreement allows its usage as a registered office address
- ensure that all communications and notices including government notices can be received during business hours
- ensure that you comply with the obligation to display the company name continuously at the premises
- remember that the address will be made into public information as the registered office address of a business can be easily found
Considering all of these points, most entrepreneurs prefer having another registered office address even if they continue to run their business from home for privacy.
The standard practice is to use the registered address services of a professional company secretary such as Air Corporate.
This ensures compliance and also avoiding any mistake in timely receipt or handling of government notices.
Do you need to keep your company documents at the registered address?
Most companies choose to keep their company documents and statutory records (such as the registers of members, register of directors, significant controllers register) at their registered office address.
However, this is not compulsory. The statutory records can be kept at another address in Hong Kong.
In this case, a NR2 Form shall be filed with the Companies Registry regarding the address at which the statutory records are kept.
What are the benefits of using Air Corporate’s registered office services?
Using the registered address services of Air Corporate guarantees compliance with applicable laws.
We bring you piece of mind by:
- ensuring immediate attention to government notices which may have a return deadline or be subject to late filing penalties (e.g. tax return, business registration renewal demand note and mandatory survey, etc.)
- avoiding the pitfalls of using a residential address as discussed above
- ensuring that your company name is always properly displayed at our office in legible characters
- enjoying an office address located in prestigious Hong Kong central business districts, ensuring immediate credibility from potential investors and customers. This address can be used on business cards, websites, letterheads and other corporate documents
- ensuring that you do not have to report to the authorities, your bank and your business cards each time you move your actual operations to another location
- not having to an actual office, which can be expensive in Hong Kong. This is especially relevant if you carry your business from outside of Hong Kong
How can you change your registered address to Air Corporate?
If you decide to use our registered address services, we will take care of everything for you. This includes:
- Informing your previous service provider
- Preparing the applicable company resolutions for the address change
- Reporting the address change to the Companies Registry of Hong Kong and the Inland Revenue Department (preparation and filing of IRC3111A and NR1 Form)
- Helping you in notifying your bank and other business partners about the change of address
Please note that any change of address must be reported to the Companies Registry within 15 days to avoid penalties.
What is included in our registered address service?
Air Corporate offers different incorporation packages available. Some include a registered address service.
We provide more than just an administrative address. Our team opens and scans government letters, your bank statements, and other correspondence.
It is a hassle-free service. You can also expect prompt and reliable updates, so you can focus your efforts on developing your business.
Our services notably include:
- Virtual office address and registered address services
- Display of company name and liability status in legible characters
- Statement of confirmation of address available upon request
- Scanning letter services
- Mailing letter services
- Daily letter/parcel notifications via email
- Address for use as a mailing address (on name cards, letterheads, etc.)
- Receipt of normal mail, airmail, parcels or registered mails
If you have not incorporated with us, or if you have not appointed us as company secretary for your company, simply contact us if you need a registered address or virtual office address.
Switch to Air Corporate today!
Focus on your business, we take care of the rest.